Sunday, January 31, 2010

Quotable Sunday: Grocery Shopping

Today is that wonderful day when Hubby and I pack all three kids into the minivan and drive to WalMart so we can do our grocery shopping together as a family. Why do we do this? Obviously, because we are crazy. Normal women would just go do the shopping themselves, either during the week with the two children that are at home or on the weekend, using the hubby as a babysitter. In our family, though, we like to do everything together. So, in honor of our special brand of lunacy, I bring you the best grocery shopping quotes I could find. Enjoy!

The odds of going to the store for a loaf of bread and coming out with only a loaf of bread are three billion to one.
-- Erma Bombeck

A bargain is something you can't use at a price you can't resist.
-- Franklin P. Jones

Anyone who believes the competitive spirit in America is dead has never been in a supermarket when the cashier opens another checkout line.
-- Ann Landers

If you change lines, the one you just left will start to move faster than the one you are now in.
-- O'Brian's Law


When women are depressed, they eat or go shopping. Men invade another country. It's a whole different way of thinking.
-- Elayne Boosler


I don't remember my mother ever playing with me. And she was a perfectly good mother. But she had to do the laundry and clean the house and do the grocery shopping.
-- Patricia Heaton

I think that last quote is a great example of why we do this crazy thing and go grocery shopping as a group of five. If we can share these simple things and make a game of the weekly errands, that's just one more bond that we share as a family. My three year old is learning about things like "serving size" and "added sugar," my eleven year old is learning about budgeting decisions, and the baby just loves being carried around in his Moby.

3 comments:

  1. I like this one...

    The odds of going to the store for a loaf of bread and coming out with only a loaf of bread are three billion to one.
    -- Erma Bombeck

    Becouse it describes me. I am that one of the three billion. Now I love to shop with my son. He makes shopping fun. I also love when Hubby comes along, but we spend way more money when he comes. My son also gets way more stuff out of the trip he didn't really need! So, my son and I shop with out Hubby most of the time. He does get to come sometimes though:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your quotes today, we can all def. relate to each quote!
    This one should be Murphy's law too!
    If you change lines, the one you just left will start to move faster than the one you are now in.
    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always love Erma Bombeck's quotes, so funny
    Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete