Friday, January 29, 2010

Table for Seven: Sonny's Real Pit BBQ

This week, I have been very good about planning and cooking meals. I personally actually cooked twice this week, which is my record so far this year. However, my willpower took a dive when I heard the news that Sonny's was giving a portion of proceeds to Red Cross' Haiti relief on Tuesday. BBQ Pulled Pork is one of my favorite things on Earth, along with sweet tea. The idea of feasting on this nectar and ambrosia for a good cause was just too much for me to resist. I told Hubby we'd be going to Sonny's for dinner the following day (no arguments there) and also invited my parents. We chose the Venice location rather than Port Charlotte because we'd be coming from Osprey.

Our van arrived first, after picking up our daughter from her dance practice. We went ahead and got a table for all seven, even though my parents were still on the way, and ordered sweet tea for everyone but the three-year-old (no caffeine for him!) When they got there, we were able to quickly order, since most of us have tried-and-true Sonny's favorites. My only decision was whether to get my pulled pork as a sandwich, a dinner, or an all-you-can-eat. Since I hadn't had much lunch, I greedily went with the AYCE, as did Hubby. Our super-healthy daughter had salad bar and a sweet potato, and our son had chicken tenders. Mom had the pulled pork meal, and Dad had the AYCE ribs.

All of our food was fabulous, since Sonny's really knows how to do Southern BBQ. We were seated comfortably at a long table that gave us plenty of room for the baby's seat. I was able to tuck myself back enough to feel comfortable nursing while covered by a blanket. The bathroom facilities were clean and adequate for changing diapers. The service was great, with refills of both sweet tea and meat coming promptly. The only thing that could have made my night better is if I had remembered that one huge plate of meat, macaroni & cheese and french fries is already all I can eat. No need to pay $2 extra for the privilege of stuffing myself beyond full, no matter how enjoyable the experience may be at the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment